Tuesday, July 06, 2010

it's a jungle out here


I didn't mind so much the mouse making a nest in the engine compartment of my 1985 Toyota Tercel, a car so old that Windows 1.0 was still a glint in Microsoft's eye. My local mechanics discovered the nest when I brought the vehicle in for servicing. They of course would not disturb it, and recommended we summons a HAZMAT team. Mice droppings are the new black when it comes to disease, at least the droppings belonging to the deer mouse. The deer mouse, largely rural, is grayish to light brown on top, with a white belly, large ears, a furry tail and eyes that appear to “bug out.” Of course, I didn't actually see the droppings leaving the mouse in question, so I can't be sure of their pedigree. But I do live on a rural island and so it's safe to say that these droppings did indeed come from a deer mouse.
But I digress.
As I said, I didn't mind so much the nest being under the hood, but when she decided to take up residence in my favorite hat, it was a nest of a different colour. Imagine my surprise when I grabbed the hat from my glove compartment, flung it onto my head, and was promptly showered in a gentle rain of multicoloured fluff, flecked with the aforementioned dreaded droppings. The situa
tion could only have been worse if the mouse had been home or -god forbid - entertaining at the time of the incident.
Where is the HAZHAT team when you need them?

3 comments:

  1. Shiver my timbers... I'm a complete wimp when it comes to mice inside the house or car...but my hat!? I'd be doing that high stepping jerky shiver dance. (though I do have to give him/her/them props for a beautiful circular abode.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes!!! get that hat into a contained area will you...forget the dissatisfaction, at least the droppings will be dealt with :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found a mouse nest on the top step of a latter that had a large wide board propped in front of it. It was an intricately woven layered thing consisting of small twigs, grasses and topped of with balls of brown fur. What a wonder of nature. I feel blessed to have found it.

    ReplyDelete