Thursday, February 11, 2010

Taffeta

In one of my many vintage etiquette books (Margery Wilson's Pocket Book of Etiquette, 1941) Margery writes that "the thin woman has a great friend in taffeta". Now, why an etiquette book should be concerning itself with the size and fabric compatibilities of a woman's body and not adhering strictly to matters of decorum is the subject of another book, one that I am working on. But since she has, and since I happen to own a taffeta dress, and since I was seen making rather a spectacle of myself wearing it just last night at the Port Theatre in Nanaimo where I was performing my Charm, Beauty and Poise show, I thought it fitting that I picture it here, hanging in Dressing Room A, waiting for me to put it on. There was no star over the door of Dressing Room A, no champagne on ice, no post-performance flowers flooding in, but I have to admit I was a little thrilled to have a room of my own.

And though I am not particularly thin, I know what Margery means. I love my red taffeta dress and consider her a great friend even if she never picks up the tab. But perhaps what is most exciting for me as regards this taffeta dress is when I tuck my vintage crinoline under it and my hemline circumference becomes a force to be reckoned with, flaring out and taking up the equivalent of a small parking space.

This is when I feel the true power of taffeta.

1 comment:

  1. I just really can not wait for your book. I hope your book tour comes to Michigan. :)

    ReplyDelete