Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Why did the corvid cross the road?

This is the number one canvas completed as part of a series of twelve which are destined for a three-person show at Canada House Gallery opening on June 12th. That's a lot of numbers I realize. 1, 12, 3 and then 12 again.

I love birds. Some days my affection for birds rivals that of my love for dogs. The two species each have their areas of expertise. Birds specialize in singing, dazzling beak work, and of course, flight. Dogs on the other hand, specialize in sticks, loyalty and bad breath. I should clarify that bad breath is not a given. It depends on the dog and the agility of its guardian(s). For example, my sister and her partner have two rescued greyhounds named Albert and Ruby. They are small horses really. The jaws and teeth on these dogs are so expansive, and the dogs so willing, that my sister and her partner are able to lift their sizable cheek flaps (the dogs' I mean) and insert a fully operational electric toothbrush. This would not be possible for me because my dog Rosie's teeth are microscopic and her mouth opens only wide enough to allow in the smallest of biscuits. Besides, she believes that personal grooming devices are wasted on her and my efforts should instead be focused on preparing her next meal.
Which brings me back to birds. I wonder if they have bad breath? I've never been allowed close enough to be able to tell. Even if they did, I could forgive them anything in exchange for their song.

No comments:

Post a Comment