Thursday, January 21, 2010

Artist's Work Dazzles Critics

I have just been paid the highest compliment on record, as regards my ability to render. And I don't mean to reduce, convert or melt down fat. Nor do I mean to deliver or pronounce formally as in "the jury rendered its verdict". I am also not referring to rendering assistance, rendering thanks, or rendering an apology. It's not that I haven't rendered in all of these ways. I even served as a juror once. We found him not guilty in case you are wondering.

I mean render as in "to represent in a drawing or painting".
Let me explain.
I was busy in the studio yesterday evening when a great ruccous could be heard originating from the living room. I had just given my dog Rosie her all-time favorite treat in the entire universe: a green plastic ball into which a collection of tiny kibbles had been inserted. That's my job, inserting the kibbles. Rosie's job is to then move the ball about the house in as strategic a manner as possible, so as to eject the tiny morsels and make them available for her consumption. Sometimes the ball gets lodged under a piece of furniture or it rolls into a tight corner, at which point Rosie begins pleading her case in a very vocal way. It's a very specific, "Timmy's in the well" , "something's gone horribly wrong" kind of thing. So like the thoroughly-trained woman I am, I went in to render my assistance. What I found there is what you see below.
















Rosie is not visible in the photo because she was at the time, maintaining a generous margin of safety between herself and the offending other 'dog' who she believed was real enough to be a threat.

Now that's rendering.
And they said I couldn't draw.

1 comment:

  1. HA! Great story....Poor Rosie. At least the "other dog" won't eat much.

    ReplyDelete