Friday, January 15, 2010

The Blank Canvas


Well....here they are. A fresh batch of tabula rasa, or maybe the plural is rasai. I have a 3-person show coming up in June at Canada House Gallery in Banff and I am expected to provide 12 new canvases. Here they are, lined up nicely, posing for the camera. I suppose this could be considered the 'before' shot. Each one will undergo a makeover of sorts. It's always an exciting time for me since I don't know what I will do with them until I get started. I don't know what I will say to them, or - more importantly - what they will say to me. I suspect birds will be involved somehow. They are never very far away.
I've been thinking these days about the expression "having her work cut out for her". Apparently it goes back to the early 1600s and is connected to tailoring. So I guess it's true. Afterall, these canvases are cloth and somebody cut them out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment