Friday, January 08, 2010

Canine Positioning System

This is me and my left hand, heading down the highway today with my CPS (canine positioning system) clearly working for me, scouting out road conditions from its location there on my dashboard. Sometimes the vibration (the ride in my 1985 Toyota Tercel leaves something to be desired) causes the little china figurine to slowly swing around so that occasionally the dog is looking at me and not the road ahead.
Oh well, it is a fairly primitive system which unlike the more precise GPS, doesn't have 24 to 32 satellites in medium earth orbit. Nor is there a Master Control Station, an Alternate Master Control Station, or a host of dedicated and shared Ground Antennas and Monitor Stations providing positioning, navigation and timing services to users on a continuous basis in all weather, day and night, anywhere on or near the Earth.
I like to think that my system involves the spirits of all the dogs big and small, biters and droolers alike, who have come and gone on this earth, and now enjoy their celestial retirement, offering casual guidance and road-side assistance to motorists who are open to receiving what they have to offer. I am someone who is. I take my help wherever I can get it.

1 comment:

  1. once again you make me laugh and smile all over! thanks for sharing! christy

    ReplyDelete