Thursday, November 25, 2010

Girlfriend can you spare a dime?

I was in Victoria last week for my Blank Canvas presentation at Vancouver Island School of Art. I know it's not ladylike to blow one's horn, but the show did sell out.

But that's not the subject of this blog entry.

The VISA carries on its business in an old elementary school which has been left pretty much untouched from the days when it served the young boys and girls of the area.

I have a real fondness for old institutional buildings. Perhaps in a past life I was a caretaker in a castle.
Anyways, I found the girls bathroom to have a particularly charming patina about it. For one, the stall doors are so short, you could carry on a complete conversation over them. I suppose it's not so much that the doors are short, but that everyone I know is tall.

But it was the Kotex dispenser that really caught my eye and warmed the coggles of my heart and other regions too intimate to mention here.

It brought back a rush of sentiment for the days when we would strap on these huge and unruly pads, and then go about our business trying to ignore the fact that something the size of a compact car was wedged between our legs. And to think it only cost 10 cents. You can hardly break wind for that price anymore.

But that was before pads had wings.

Maybe it's the wings that pushed the cost up.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your "sell out" Sheila!

    I do indeed remember the days when I had to walk around feeling like I was straddling an invisible horse. Thank gawd I need straddle no more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay on the sell out :) and thanks for making me laugh AGAIN!

    i will happily wait for your next book and look forward to your new blog form too :)

    ReplyDelete